Thursday, August 31, 2006

Friend or foe

I've been having plumbing problems for almost the whole year. It can be interpreted from the annual stars for the year. But I will not go into that.

This is about something else. The phrase "your best friend is your worst enemy" has its origins from society which had already gone through every social circumstances. I actually believe more of the phrase "you are your own worst enemy". Both are enemies nevertheless.

My basin have been slanting like a half broken chopstick for some time and I'm finally going to replace it. I thought "hey since somebody is going to make money out of me, why not let it be someone in my network or extended network of friends.

I made some calls and found a friend's friend who does plumbing. I went through some trouble to get him to do the job for me. (wheres the customer service? nevermind) Lets build on our invisible implied bond.

He came, we talked and laughed. We chit chat about how we met my referral friend and some casual stuff. Then he quoted me an audacious fee! I have never heard of a basin so expensive! Its not gold plated, its not even bronze plated! OMG it became clear what his take on this was - a one time win-lose transaction. But because he was referred by a friend, and rejecting his services is not a good friendly gesture, I actually asked him to go ahead! Is that crazy or what?! I was caught in the moment!

Now I feel very stupid to have paid him. I should asked him to go fuck himself.

How did a situation like this arise? Can't anybody see the long-term potential of this? I could have referred even more business to him.

I'm not asking for a cut-throat price, I just expect to pay a reasonable fee. I checked the papers to look at basin prices and found that what I've paid is almost double those that are quoted in the papers!

What the hell is going on in this guy's head? I think that he realised the social game in play and went for the kill. If the plumber was someone I found from ads, I don't think they would dare quote me a price like that. They would be mindful of the competition. But since I'm a referral customer, he must have thought that I have no choice but to get his services. I'm an idiot not to call the plumbers in the papers. The deal is as good as closed. Because if I had wanted to find a plumber from ads, I wouldn't even have bothered to get in touch with him.

He will never get any business from me again. And I hope his business goes down the drain like his plumbing.

Now I even suspect that my referral friend is in cahoots with him and they will split the dough from the easy meat (me). Maybe he knew my weaknesses and instructed the plumber how to work on them. He may have guessed that I would not turn away someone I asked him to refer.

What has happened to good faith? I have another friend who keeps asking me questions about business and I have always provided him with well thought-out timely information and ideas. When I asked him recently for the same in return, he totally ignored my questions! What is going on here? Its not that I offered him my feedback conditionally... . well.... yes maybe there is a condition. A condition of good faith... ..

What has freaking happened to good faith? This guy I just met was chasing me down to meet me alone to discuss some business plans. I kept telling him we can talk over the phone, but he insisted on meeting. When I finally made time to meet up with him, he did not turn up! His excuse? "my friend refused to drive me down to the our meeting place" And he told me that after making me wait for half an hour! What kind of fucking excuse is that?!?! Since then I have filtered out his every attempt to contact me again.

What the bouncing jelly beans has happened to good faith? One of my favourite friends from school told me that he had a seminar to attend but didn't want to go alone. He didn't need to beg me to go. I agreed without raising an eyebrow. When I arrived, he tried to hard sell me mlm in a 3-pronged attacked with 2 of his "mentors"! Even while clearly knowing my stand on mlm! Thats the beginning of the end of our relationship. I can never trust him again.

What the bloody ass has happened to good faith? I always go to my favourite noodle stall to have dumpling noodles. Naturally I got to know the lady well. The more I go to have my noodles, the smaller my portions got! She must have thought that since I'm a regular, I will keep going back whatever portions she gave me! OMG .... dream on baby... ..

What the sesame seed buns have happened to good faith? I bought a notebook from a big name company and got one that does not meet the specifications stated in the brochure. I asked to exchange for the notebook with the specifications in the brochure. They refused! And have the audacity to ask me to upgrade to a higher performance notebook and top up the difference! I gave them a piece of my mind and reminded them of the Fair Tradings Act! Only then, they offered to give me a top up dicount of $50 if I upgraded my notebook selection! OMG..... I just want what I paid for..... is that too much to ask... ..

And what the wicked willy has happened to good faith? I have supported my favourite soccer club for almost 20yrs. And they won't even win the 1st 3 games of the season for me! Please get a quality midfielder and right back...

Its a crazy world out there. And I'm only living on a dot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home